His Holiness Jayapataka Swami
A disciple of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder-acharya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness
is widely regarded as the foremost Vedic scholar, translator, and teacher of the modern era.
Srila Prabhupada came to New York in 1965 and in twelve short years made the chanting of ‘Hare Krishna’ known throughout the world.
List of recommended items for observing Purushottama Month
- Wake up before sunrise and attend Mangal Artik
- Perform Tulsi Puja & Parikrama
- Chant Japa
- Chant Extra Rounds
- Take Ganga Bath
- Offer Flowers to Lord Krsna
- Offering Tulasi/ Manjaris
- Participate in Sandhya / other Artiks
- Offering Lamp
- Attend Srimad Bhagavatam Class
- Read about Krishna (BG./ others)
- Participate in Preaching Programs
- Offering 1-16 Items of Worship (Upacaras)
- Attend / Organize Home Programs
- Participate in Harinams
- Distribute Books
- Perform Vaisnava Seva
- Perform Temple Seva
- Attend / Organize Bhajans /Sangas
Purusottama Month by His Holiness Jayapataka Swami
Reason for Purusottama Month to occur
According to the lunar calendar the year passes through 12 months in 355 days. In our solar calendar it is 365. From 355 to 365, there are 10 days of difference. So every 3 years there is one additional month that is called the month of Purusottama.
Meaning of the name Purusottama
Purusottama is a name of Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. “Purusa” is the enjoyer or Lord; Uttama is transcendental. Purusottama is “The transcendental Supreme Lord.” The 15th chapter of the Bhagavad Gita is also called Purusottama Yoga.
Description of the Purusottama Month pastime
The Pandavas would ask Lord Krsna why, if they are devotees, they had to suffer so many different tests in their lives. In one Purana it is explained that because they did not follow the month of Purusottama appropriately, they had to suffer for this offense. And Krsna also asked or suggested to follow the month of Purusottama that was coming in some time, very soon – to avoid, to cancel out all the previous offenses. Like this, the month of Purusottama had no name before, being an additional month, Adhika month in Sanskrit.
She was very frustrated because she didn’t have (anything). All the other months had offerings to the different Avataras, to Radharani, or different activities. But if it is an additional month, nothing happens in her month. There were two very special Ekadasis (in this month), but some people still thought that it was an inauspicious month. So she asked Visnu to solve her problem and Visnu took her to Goloka Vrindavan, to Lord Krsna. She was very sad that she didn’t have a goal, a purpose; she was crying. And there in Goloka Vrindavan, -the sacred abode of Lord Krsna-. Krsna told her “Why are you crying here? This is the spiritual world, here no one cries, there is no suffering.” But she had no purpose in life; she wanted to just come to His lotus feet.
So Krsna accepted her under His shelter and gave her the name of Purusottama, month of Purusottama. So whichever activity is realized in this month, spiritual or devotional, is going to have thousand times more results, or even more. It is something very special, and (Krishna says) “this month is non-different from Me”. This is why whoever does not follow, can have various obstacles in one’s life. Well, for the devotees that chant daily, follow all the regulative principles and do their devotional service, there will be no problem; but for those who are still starting, or at this moment are not very regular, it is a month in which it is the best to regularly chant the names of Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare and improve.
Srila Prabhupada on the importance of the activities of devotional service (Sadhana) as recommended in Purusottama Month
The following are quotes and explanations on the importance of some of the items recommended during Purusottama Month. H.H. Jayapataka Swami suggested encouraging devotees to strictly follow Srila Prabhupada’s morning program since this contains most of the essential recommendations. Chanting extra rounds, helping guests to be engaged in some devotional practice and the offering of ghee lamps every day (in the same fashion of Damodara month) is particularly encouraged. Other specifications found in different sastras may be followed according to the level of advancement of the practitioner. However, the encouragement should be to attract everyone, especially new people, to perform some service as explained by Lord Krishna in the Padma Purana. Thus the extra items, in line with Srila Prabhupada’s explanations, are for the purpose of inviting newcomers to do some service for Krsna. This can be achieved by participating in preaching activities such as book distribution, home or public programs, Harinams, etc.
Rising Early, attending Mangal Aratik, chanting Japa, and reading or hearing Srimad Bhagavatam
“…And never neglect to chant your 16 rounds of beads daily, rise early without fail, attend Mangal Aratik, take bath, and follow the other regulative principles, and everything will come out very successfully, you can rest assured of that.” (Srila Prabhupada’s letter to Bhargava dasa. Los Angeles June 13th, 1972) “…that enthusiastic mood is maintained when everyone is always without fail chanting 16 rounds daily, rising early for Mangal Aratik, reading books, preaching.” (Srila Prabhupada’s letter to Trai dasa, Bombay India December 27th, 1972)
Click here to read more
“…there is the story of Vāmana, who, when He took three steps, stuck His foot through the covering of this universe. Water from the Causal Ocean flowed through the hole that His foot made, and it is said that that water became the river Ganges. Therefore the Ganges is accepted as the most sacred water of Viṣṇu…” (From Srila Prabhupada’s Introduction to Caitanya Caritamrita)
Tulasi Aratik and Parikrama
“…Simply by seeing, simply by touching, simply by remembering, simply by praying to, simply by bowing before, simply by hearing about, or simply by sowing the tree, there is always auspiciousness. Anyone who comes in touch with the Tulasi tree in the above mentioned ways lives eternally in the Vaikuntha world.” (Srila Prabhupada’s letter to Radhavallabha dasa. Bombay January 6, 1972).
“Whoever takes shelter of you has his wishes fulfilled. Bestowing your mercy on him, you make him a resident of Vrindavan.”- Krsna Das (Tulasi Aratik Song)
Offering of 1 to 16 items of worship (Upacaras)
The offerings of Upacaras are the medium by which you can express your devotional service. Bhakti, your love is one Upacara and the best of all Upacaras. If something is offered with bhakti it is considered as bhakti. If it is offered with the intention of gaining some fruitive result it is mixed bhakti.
(Interview with H.G. Jananivas Prabhu, Head Pujari of ISKCON Mayapur and Head of ISKCON Deity Worship Division) For more information on Upacaras please visit www.deityworship.com
Vaisnava Seva Srila Narottama dasa Thakur says,
“chadiya vaisanva seva nistara peyeche keba”: unless one serves a Vaisnava, he cannot be delivered.”- CC Madhya 1.218 PP
Lord Siva tells his wife: “My dear Pārvatī, there are different methods of worship, and out of all such methods the worship of the Supreme Person is considered to be the highest. But even higher than the worship of the Lord is the worship of the Lord’s devotees.” (Padma Purana)
“…But those who are not doing, for them it is very difficult. Kṛṣṇa says… He gives the prescription that satataṁ cintayanto mām: (BG 9.14) “Always thinking of Me.” Man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru (BG 18.65). Here is the chance. You come to the temple, engage in the temple service. Naturally your mind will be absorbed in Kṛṣṇa. This temple is open not for making a force; just to make this process, niveśita-ātmā, always absorbed in Kṛṣṇa thought. (Srila Prabhupada Lecture on SB 1.15.33 — Los Angeles, December 11, 1973)
The Lord Himself states in the Gita (18.68–69), “For one who explains this supreme secret to the devotees, devotional service is guaranteed, and at the end, he will come back to Me. There is no servant in this world more dear to Me than he, nor will there ever be one more dear.”
“As far as charity is concerned, it is plain that charity should be given to the devotees of Kṛṣṇa who are engaged in His devotional service to spread the Kṛṣṇa philosophy, or Kṛṣṇa consciousness, throughout the world. Kṛṣṇa consciousness is a benediction to humanity. Lord Caitanya was appreciated by Rūpa Gosvāmī as the most muniﬁcent man of charity because love of Kṛṣṇa, which is very difﬁcult to achieve, was distributed freely by Him. So if one gives some amount of his money to persons involved in distributing Kṛṣṇa consciousness, that charity, given to spread Kṛṣṇa consciousness, is the greatest charity in the world.”
Weekly Checklist for Purusottama Month
Includes Purusottam Month Checklist Explanations, General Guidelines, Srila Prabhupada’s Devotional Program and Items of Worship
Download Weekly ChecklistThis will open the checklist file, which you can download and print to write your details everyday for observing Purushottama Month
Observance of Purusottama Month 2015
Benefits of Purusottama Month from Padma and Skanda Puranas
1) Lord Sri Krsna: “Purusottama month has all the power I have to bless its observer. One who follows Purusottama vrata will destroy all his past sinful reactions. Without performing Purusottama vrata, one cannot perform pure devotional service. The value of Purusottama month is far more valuable than all other types of austerities and religious activities mentioned in the Vedas. Anyone who observes Purusottama vrata willreturn to my abode, Goloka, at the end of his life”.
2) Durvasa Muni: “Just by bathing in a holy river during Purusottama month, one becomes sinless. The glory of all other months is not equal to one-sixteenth of the glory of the Purusottama month. By bathing in a holy place, giving charity and chanting the Holy Name of Krsna during Purusottama month, all miseries are destroyed, one attains all kinds of perfection and fulfills all his desires”.
3) One Purusottama vrata equals a thousand Kartika vratas.
4) Valmiki Muni: “By observing Purusottama vrata, one attains more benefit than performing one hundred horse sacrifices. All holy places live within the body of a Purusottama month vrati. Anyone who faithfully performs Purusottama vrata will go to Goloka Vrindavan”.
5) Residence in the holy dhama in Purusottama month yields 1000 times the benefit.
6) Naimisaranya Sages: “Merciful Purusottama month acts like a desire tree to fulfill a devotee’s desire”.
7) If one sincerely worships Radha and Krsna in Purusottama month, he will attain everything.
8) One who observes Purusottama vrata, will burn up the reactions of all his bad karma and attain the direct service of Radha and Krsna.
9) Purusottama month is the best month for all spiritual advancement because Krsna overlooks all the aparadhas.
10) Narada Muni: “Purusottama month is the best of all months, vratas and austerities. Just by faithfully hearing the glories of Purusottama month, one attains krsna-bhakti and immediately nullifies his sinful reactions. One who performs Purusottama vrata properly will attain unlimited sukrti and go to the spiritual world.
Messages on Purushottama MonthGuru Maharaja has specifically said to all his disciples and well-wishers “So as a message, I would just like to say please follow Purushottam month, chant Hare Krsna, read Srila Prabhupada’s books, stay in Prabhupada’s ISKCON and Gauranga!!!”
Revisiting Jayapataka Swami in ICU
Screams. Tears. Despair. Anxiety. Stress. Tension. Depression. These are some feelings that patients and loved ones share while in the midst of the ICU environment. One or two dead bodies are transported out of the ICU and past the waiting area practically on daily basis. Just today …
From the Diary of Maha Varaha Prabhu, long standing Personal Secretary of His Holiness Jayapataka Swami
Read Previous Messages
Guru Maharaja CaresA Secretary’s Notes from the Critical Care Units
As many of you may know, on the morning of May 10th, 2015, Guru Maharaja was found having severe breathing difficulties and was rushed from Mayapur to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a hospital in Kolkata… From the diary of Maha Varaha Prabhu – Guru Maharaja’s Travelling Secretary
His Holiness Jayapataka Swami is famous worldwide as a travelling preacher.
In last 2 years he did
Number of flights
Kilometres of road journey
Various projects by His Holiness Jayapataka Swami
Namhatta – Following the precendence of HH Bhakti Vinod Thakur, one of the prominent acharyas in the Gaudiya Vaishnava Sampradhaya, the Namahatta the most traditional of the congregational programs and mirrors the organization of a regular ISKCON temple with the leader and his assistants in the center. Presently there are about 2000 Nama-Hatta centres just in West Bengal, Orissa, Jharkand and Assam in Eastern India.
Apart from the Mayapur Piligrimage, there are others such as Puri Yatra,South Indian Safari as well.
Jayapataka Swami also has recently introduced the ‘Ganges Safari’ to visit those holy places connected to Lord Caitanya which are approachable only along the river flow. Similarly he conducts a tour of holy places in India and neighbouring countries.
A Few of the Other Responsibilities of HH Jayapataka Swami Maharaja in ISKCON
1. Zonal Secretary seva in West Bengal, Orissa, Bihar, Assam, Tripura, Andhra pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Bangaldesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Atlanta, Hillsborough, Lynchburg, New Orleans, Carrierre, Colombia, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Andaman Islands, Meghalaya, Sikkim, Pondicherry and Bhutan. 2. GBC committees – Constitutional and Law Revision Committee member, ISKCON Publications Review Board Member, Mayapur-vrndavana Festival Committee member, Philosophical research group, deity worship handbook committee, GBC Incorporation Committee, Executor’s committee member, and Puri Development Committee. 3. In relation to Mayapur – Mayapur Development Committee member, Exhibits and Theme park Department Head, Land Department Head, Ganges Erosion precautions, promote Sri Mayapur worldwide, GBC zonal secretary and Co-Director.
TEMPLE OF THE VEDIC PLANETARIUM
Raising Lord Chaitanya’s temple by the hands of every devotee
An Unique ProjectThe Temple of the Vedic Planetarium is an ambitious and unique project to make the culture and philosophy of the Vedic tradition accessible to everyone. The construction of this temple in Mayapur, to be named the Chandrodaya Temple, has been the vision of Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, the founder of ISKCON, and, 500 years before him, Lord Nityananda.
Vedic concept of the UniverseThree hundred and fifty acres of land are being acquired on the banks of the Ganges River for constructing a small township. The Vedic concept of the Universe, the planetary systems as described in the Srimad Bhagavatam, is to be one of the major exhibits in the Planetarium. Another unique feature is the 75-feet domed planetarium theatre, the largest of its kind in India.
Place for aspiring spiritualistsIt aims to be a place for all aspiring spiritualists who are searching for answers to the questions of life. Alfred Ford has contributed a large sum towards the construction of the temple. To further raise funds for the 75 million dollar project, an appeal was made to ISKCON devotees worldwide to contribute money for a square-foot of land each. The first phase of the Temple is estimated to complete in 2016.
Lecture BG 2.14
1st November 2005
Atlanta, USA Jayapataka Swami
From the book:
Verse Seventeen Jayapataka Swami
Lecture BG 2.14
1st November 2005
Atlanta, USA Jayapataka Swami