Tulasi Glorification – Patalakanda – Padma Purana
Glories of Tulasi Devi
From Patalakanda of the Padma Purana
Lord Shiva said: “My dear Narad Muni, kindly listen now I will relate to you the wonderful glories of Tulasi Devi.
1) One who hears Tulasi Devi’s glories will have all his sinful reactions, stored from many births, destroyed and very quickly attain the lotus-feet of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna.
2) The leaves, flowers, roots, bark, branches, trunk and the shade of Tulasi Devi are all spiritual.
3) One, whose dead body is burnt in a fire, which has Tulasi wood as fuel, will attain the spiritual world, even if he is the most sinful of sinful persons, and the person who lights up that fire, will be freed from all sinful reactions.
4) One who at the time of death takes the name of Lord Krishna and is touching the wood of Tulasi Devi will attain the spiritual world.
5) When the dead body is being burnt, even if one small piece of Tulasi wood is put in the fire, then that person will attain the spiritual world; by the touch of Tulasi all other wood is purified. When the messengers of Lord Vishnu see a fire which has Tulasi wood burning in it they immediately come and take that person whose body has been burnt to the spiritual world. The messengers of Yamaraj will not come to that place when Tulasi wood is burning. That person’s body which has been burnt by Tulasi wood goes to the spiritual world and on his way all the demigods shower flowers on him. When Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva see that person on his way to the spiritual world, they become very happy and bless him and Lord Krishna comes before him and taking his hand, He takes him to His own abode.
6) One, who happens to go to a place where Tulasi wood has been burnt will become purified of all sinful reactions. That Brahmin, who is performing a fire sacrifice and places amongst the other wood Tulasi wood, will get the result of one agnihotra yajna (fire sacrifice) for each grain offered in that fire.
7) One who offers Lord Krishna incense made of Tulasi wood will get the same result of one hundred fire sacrifices and of giving one hundred cows in charity.
8) One who cooks an offering for Lord Krishna on a fire which has Tulasi wood in it, will attain the same benefit as one who gives in charity a hill of grains as large as Mount Meru for each grain of such an offering to Lord Krishna.
9) One who lights up a lamp to be offered to Lord Krishna with a piece of Tulasi wood will attain the same benefit as one who offers ten million lamps to Lord Krishna.
10) There is no one more dear to Lord Krishna than that person.
11) One who applies the paste of Tulasi wood to the body of the Deity of Lord Krishna with devotion will always live close to Lord Krishna.
12) That person who puts the mud from the base of Tulasi Devi on his body and worships the Deity of Lord Krishna, gets the results of one hundred days worship each day.
13) One who offers a Tulasi Manjari to Lord Krishna gets the benefit of offering all the varieties of flowers after which he goes to the abode of Lord Krishna.
14) One who sees or comes near a house or garden where the Tulasi plant is present gets rid of all his previous sinful reactions including that of killing a Brahmin.
15) Lord Krishna happily resides in that house, town, or forest, where Tulasi Devi is present.
16) That house where Tulasi Devi is present never falls on bad times and due to Tulasi Devi’s presence that place becomes more pure than all the Holy places.
17) Wherever the smell of Tulasi Devi is taken by the wind it purifies everyone who comes in contact with it.
18) In that house where the mud from the Tulasi Devi is kept, all the demigods along with Lord Krishna will always reside.
19) Wherever the shade of Tulasi Devi falls is purified and is the best place for offering fire sacrifices.
NOTE: – One must only use Tulasi wood which has been attained after Tulasi Devi has dried up, one must never take Tulasi wood from a tree which has not dried up. (pages 64 – 66.)